Robert Baumgartner represents businesses and business owners in a broad range of industries. He serves as a general counsel for many businesses. His clients will regularly consult with him to determine the practical and technical legal issues they may encounter in their business operations including issues involving
- Start-up company formations;
- Advising Emerging Businesses
- Buying and Selling of Businesses
- Lease drafting, review, and interpretation
- Contract drafting, review, and interpretation
- Shareholder, Operating, and Partnership Agreement drafting, review and interpretation
- General Employment Law
- Employment Contracts – drafting, reviewing and interpretation
- Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation Agreements
- Severance Agreements – drafting, reviewing and interpretation
- Wage and Hour Issues including Overtime disputes
- DOL overtime audits
- Franchise Agreement review and interpretation
- Women-Owned, Minority, and Disadvantaged Owned Business Formations.
He has helped hundreds of businesses. He has watched mom and pop businesses achieve family goals and has seen small businesses with big dreams implement legal and business solutions to become major players in their industries.
He cites positive client interaction with business owners who are trying to achieve their goals as a strong motivator in his decision to focus his practice on business and commercial law. He regularly works with optimistic, upbeat, and aggressive entrepreneurs and business owners to create short and long-term business strategies and legal needs. He has the experience to provide practical legal solutions to complicated business situations. He finds that pure legal analysis and legal courses of action may not be the best solution for businesses and business owners. Rather, seeking win-win solutions, which involve a balancing of the legal positions against the monetary and non-monetary costs leads to alternative solutions that avoids litigation.
Business owners want cost-effective solutions, not legal positions that lead to polarization and the loss of business deals and transactions. A transaction should never fall through because of attorneys advocating positions that create adversity and polarization. Rather, an experienced lawyer seeks solutions that consummate transactions and resolve problems.
When dealing with employees and employment situations, employers want solutions that will minimize or remove the threat of litigation. With the cost of defending major employment suits averaging over $125,000, most business seek solutions to employment problems that protect the business interests while bringing closure to the problems.
Admitted to the Virginia bar in 1978 and to the District of Columbia bar in 1994, Mr. Baumgartner brings considerable experience to the practice of business and commercial law in Northern Virginia.
- Bar Admissions
- Virginia, 1978
- District of Columbia, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1980
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1991
- Representative Clients
- AlphaSix Corporation (Defense Contracting)
- ATSG Corporation (Technology and Defense Contracting)
- Carnwennan Corporation (Defense Contracting)
- JB Management, Inc. (Defense Contracting)
- Lowe Management, Inc. (Franchising)
- Paladion Technology Solutions, Inc. (Technology)
- Perfect Eyebrows29, LLC (Retail Services)
- Sandy Spring Bank (Banking)
- Virginia Center for Neuroscience, PLC (Medical)
- Xgility, Inc. (technology)
- CLE's & Speaking Engagements
- “Forming Limited Liability Companies”, National Business Institute – 2015
- “Drafting Common Business Documents”, National Business Institute – 2015
- “First Steps of an Acquisition”, National Business Institute – 2016
- “Financing a Transaction”, National Business Institute – 2016
- “Handling the Sale of a Business, Structuring and Drafting the Acquisition Agreement’ – 2018
- “Business Attorney’s Guide to Information Technology” – 2017
- “Business Contracts: Top 10 Most Costly Mistakes” – 2017
- “Business Succession Planning – Avoiding Downton Abby”, Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys – 2015
- Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubble, AV Rating
- U.S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers
Since 1980, the AV-rated law firm of Hale Ball has served the legal needs of individuals and businesses. Our team of attorneys include lawyers named to Super Lawyer and Rising Star lists, as well as attorneys with advanced legal degrees, specialty certifications and lawyers who teach their areas of practice to other lawyers.
Use the contact form on this page to schedule a consultation, or call 703-591-4900
The transmission and receipt of information contained on this website, in whole or in part, or communication with the Hale Ball via the Internet or e-mail through this website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between this firm and any recipient.
*John C. Hale and Robert B. Baumgartner are Senior Members of Hale Ball.
10511 Judicial Dr
Fairfax, VA 22030