Attorney John C. Hale, a principal of the firm, has been in practice since 1979. He has practiced exclusively in the Northern Virginia area, primarily in Fairfax County and the City of Fairfax, initially with a broad practice including general civil and criminal trial work, personal injury, business, estate planning, and real estate. Since the early 1980s, however, his practice has been focused in the areas of business formations and acquisitions, business related issues, and estates and trusts. John became a member of the firm in 1980, the year the firm was formed, and became managing partner in 1990. He left that position with the firm in 2005 in order to devote more time and attention to the practice of law.
Over the years, John’s practice has been concentrated in the areas of estates and trust and general business. John possesses the knowledge and expertise to handle complex estate planning, including the preparation and implementation of sophisticated techniques and vehicles designed to reduce the burden of transfer taxes. With extensive experience in these areas of over 25 years, many of his clients consist of closely held businesses and individual families in the community, in addition to non-profit organizations. John is also able to advise a variety of business entities, from formation to merger and acquisition.
John is also active in his community, serving on the Advisory Board of Potomac Bank since its inception, and with the Rotary Club of Fairfax. He also serves with a number of charitable, religious and community service organizations. In the past he has served with the Fairfax Inter-service Club Council and the Fairfax Jaycees.
HALE BALL MURPHY, PLC is proud to be passionate about its ethics and forging connections with other ethical attorneys around the world. This includes our membership with LawPact, a non-profit organization and association of business law firms located across the globe. If you would like to speak to any of our attorneys, contact us today.
• Virginia, 1979
• U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1986
• U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1981
• U.S. Tax Court, 1982
• United States v. Beahm, 664 F.2d 414 (United States Court Of Appeals, Fourth Circuit 1981)
• Thorpe v. Commonwealth, 223 Va. 609, 292 S.E.2d 323 (Virginia Supreme Court 1982)
• In re Estate of Robert Laird O’Bryan, Fiduciary No. 46159, 25 Va. Cir. 35, 1990 Va. Cir. Lexis 431 (Circuit Court Of Fairfax County, Virginia 1990)
• Williams v. Engineering & Tech. Consultants, Inc., Chancery No. 15267, 1993 Va. Cir. Lexis 864 (Circuit Court Of Loudoun County, Virginia 1993)
• Nicholas Landrith v. First Virginia Bank et al., Case Nos. (Chancery) 136392, 136393, 40 Va. Cir. 59, 1995 Va. Cir. Lexis 1365 (Circuit Court Of Fairfax County, Virginia 1995)
• Washington D.C. Regional Advertising Association
• BWE Regional Advertising Association
• Commission on Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies
• Metropolitan Funeral Service, Inc.
• Jefferson Funeral Chapels, Inc.
CLE's & Speaking Engagements
• Representing the Dying Client, VA CLE, 2001
Professional Associations & Memberships
• Rotary Club of Fairfax, 1989 – 2019
• Fairfax Jaycees, 1979 – 1983
Honors & Awards
• Best Lawyers in America, 2006 – Present
• Virginia Super Lawyer, 2008 – Present
• Virginia’s Best Lawyer – 2011 – Present
• Washington DC’s Top Lawyers – 2009 – Present
Pro Bono Activities
• 911 Representation
• Rotary Club of Fairfax and Fairfax Rotary Foundation, Inc.
• Sharon Cemetery Corporation
• Middleburg Baptist Church
Ready to Stand at Your Side
Since 1980, the AV-rated law firm of HALE BALL MURPHY, PLC has served the legal needs of individuals and businesses. Our team of attorneys include lawyers named to Super Lawyer and Rising Star lists, as well as attorneys with advanced legal degrees, specialty certifications and lawyers who teach their areas of practice to other lawyers.
Use the contact form on this page to schedule a consultation, or call 703-591-4900
The transmission and receipt of information contained on this website, in whole or in part, or communication with the HALE BALL MURPHY, PLC via the Internet or e-mail through this website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between this firm and any recipient.
*John C. Hale and Robert B. Baumgartner are Senior Members of HALE BALL MURPHY, PLC.
10511 Judicial Dr
Fairfax, VA 22030
Let us fight for you
Schedule a Consultation
We will use the information you provide on this form to connect and schedule a consultation with you to go over your legal needs. The transmission and receipt of information contained on this website, in whole or in part, or communication with the HALE BALL MURPHY, PLC via the Internet or e-mail through this website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between this firm and any recipient.