Northern Virginia Contested Divorce Lawyers
Overcoming Divorce Disputes
A contested divorce is any divorce in which the spouses cannot reach an agreement on one or more of the issues involved, including:
- How will assets and debts be divided?
- Who will have custody of the child(ren)? How will visitation work?
- How much child support will be paid?
- Will one spouse need alimony?
Contested divorce cases increase in complexity depending on the number of issues being disputed. At Hale Ball, our lawyers have decades of experience guiding our clients through challenging divorces and helping them reach positive outcomes.
Northern Virginia Complex Divorce Attorneys
Before we begin any case, we believe it is important to explain the steps involved. A brief overview of the contested divorce process follows:
- The complaint for divorce is filed with the circuit court: Divorce may be requested on no-fault grounds or on fault grounds, such as adultery, cruelty, desertion or constructive desertion. Divorces granted on fault grounds are rare.
- The other spouse files an answer or a counter-complaint: This needs to be done within 21 days. An answer is essentially a statement that the other spouse wishes to participate in. It prevents a default judgment. A counter-complaint may also be necessary.
- Pendente lite orders are issued: These are temporary orders addressing child support and visitation, alimony and spousal support, or other issues.
- The discovery process begins: This is the information-gathering process. Three tools are used: interrogatories (written questions to be answered under oath), deposition (verbal questions to be answered under oath) and production of documents (requests for documents such as income information, tax returns or credit card statements).
- Experts are enlisted: Experts may be necessary for things like real estate appraisals or other complex issues.
- Negotiation, mediation or trial: Depending on the situation, a settlement may be reached through negotiation or mediation. If that is not possible, our attorneys are prepared to take the contested divorce to trial to fight for you.
If you have a question, we encourage you to schedule a confidential consultation with one of our Northern Virginia lawyers. To make an appointment call us at the above telephone number 1-703-591-4900 or use the contact form below.
Since 1980 the AV-rated law firm of Hale Ball has served the legal needs of individuals and businesses. Our team of attorneys include lawyers named to Super Lawyer and Rising Star lists, as well as attorneys with advanced legal degrees, specialty certifications and lawyers who teach their areas of practice to other lawyers.
Use the contact form on this page to schedule a consultation, or call 703-591-4900.
The transmission and receipt of information contained on this website, in whole or in part, or communication with the Hale Ball via the Internet or e-mail through this website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between this firm and any recipient.
10511 Judicial Dr
Fairfax, VA 22030