Annandale, Virginia Estate Planning Attorneys
At Hale Ball Carlson Baumgartner Murphy, PLC, you can count on having a team by your side that can provide comprehensive estate planning and guidance for individuals, spouses, and families in and around Annandale, Virginia. Our team prides itself on the estate planning services we are able to provide Annandale residents, and our dedication to keeping our clients from allowing their affairs to be left intestate. We understand the importance of these issues, and we are here to help handle a wide range of estate planning matters, including drafting your last will and testament or seeking knowledgeable guidance regarding intergenerational estate planning, pet trusts, asset preservation, and estate tax issues
Handling All Of Your Annandale Estate Planning
Annandale is our hotspot for authentic Korean cuisine in Fairfax County (and arguably the entire state of VA). We are also a family area, and residents here understand the importance of securing their future and the future of their family with a sound estate plan.
When you work with Hale Ball, you can count on us to provide you and your family with an estate plan completely customized to your current and changing needs. We also have extensive experience in trusts, including traditional trusts like spendthrift trusts, as well as nontraditional trusts like resulting and constructive trusts. We have extensive experience helping clients realize their long term goals by using the following:
- Wills – A last will and testament is a legal document used to keep your loved ones and your estate protected after you pass away. This essentially serves as a written set of instructions that reflect your wishes regarding who you want to inherit your assets. This document can also outline your wishes concerning who will take care of any minor children under your care.
- Trusts – A trust is a legal entity used to keep your valuable assets protected, and there are various types of trusts in Virginia. Trusts are a way that a person can pass assets down to their loved ones after they pass, and they allow family members to avoid the probate process, which can be lengthy and tedious. At Hale Ball, our Annandale estate planning lawyers are available to assist individuals in establishing various types of trusts, including living trusts, special needs trusts, revocable living trusts, spendthrift trusts, and more.
- Powers of Attorney – A power of attorney (POA) is a document that allows one person to give authority to another person to handle various aspects of their property, finances, medical decisions, and more. There are various types of powers of attorney. At Hale Ball, our Annandale lawyers will help you review your situation and determine whether a traditional power of attorney is preferable or whether you would like to establish a durable power of attorney, a springing power of attorney, or another special type of power of attorney.
- Estate Tax Planning – Regardless of the size of your estate in Annandale, VA, it is always a good idea to discuss your tax options and record keeping with a qualified probate lawyer. At Hale Ball, we can provide you with extensive and up-to-date knowledge in tax law to help you best protect your money and estate.
- Trust Administration – Trust administration in Annandale refers to a trust being handled by an appointed trustee. A trustee is responsible for managing the assets in the trust and making sure that they are properly distributed to the beneficiaries. At Hale Ball, our Annandale, VA estate attorneys can guide you through this process to ensure that you accurately perform your trustee duties.
- Estate Planning for Second Marriage – In the event you get remarried, whether after a divorce or after the death of a spouse, it is critical to update your estate plan. This can include arranging premarital agreements. By working with a skilled Annandale estate planning lawyer in these situations, you can feel more at ease knowing that your current spouse is included in the plan and that your future is properly planned for. We also offer estate planning service in other areas, like Burke.
- Pet Trusts – In the event you become disabled or pass away, you want to be sure that any pets you have are properly cared for. Keeping your pets safe and protected is a priority, and our Annandale pet trust attorneys can help ensure that you are given a chance to leave behind the proper resources to care for your loyal companion.
Taxes And Your Annandale Estate
One of the main concerns that many people have when they begin planning their estate is taxes. In general, taxes are unavoidable and complicated. However, at Hale Ball, our Annandale attorneys understand how federal and state law intersect with estate planning.
Federal Estate Taxes
Federal estate tax laws change frequently, and they are going to change again in 2026. Understanding the federal estate tax can seem complicated. The current federal estate tax exemption amount is $11.58 million per person. A married couple can combine their exemptions for a total exemption amount of $23.16 million.
The federal estate tax exemption will increase every year to adjust for inflation until the year 2025. In 2026, these increases will end, and the exemption amount will revert back to the 2017 levels, which were $5.49 million per person. This could change should Congress choose to enact legislation to extend the current exemption levels.
To gain an understanding of how the federal estate tax exemption works, we want to give you an example. A taxable estate is the gross estate value minus any allowable expenses and deductions. The federal estate tax is currently 40 percent. So, let us imagine that a couple has a taxable estate of $24 million and passes away.
Under the current exemptions, the couple’s heirs could exempt $23.16 million, which means they would only owe 40% of the remaining amount, which would be $840,000. Under the current 40% estate tax rate, the heirs would owe $360,000 in federal estate taxes.
Virginia Estate Taxes
Virginia does not impose an estate tax or an inheritance tax on citizens.
Our team of skilled attorneys are experienced in many legal matters. Whether you need to create an estate, draft a will, or make sure an estate is completed and closed, we are here for you. Contact us today for a consultation.
Speak to an Annandale estate planning lawyer about your case today
If you or somebody you care about have any questions about your estate plans, please seek assistance from a skilled legal team as soon as possible. At Hale Ball, our Annandale estate planning lawyers have extensive experience in this area of law, and we are ready to get to work on your behalf. Our team can handle all of your estate planning needs.
Annandale is a short drive from our office in Fairfax (around seven miles). Depending on where you are coming from in Annandale, getting to our offices is a pretty straight shot once you hop onto the Little River Turnpike and head towards Fairfax. Keep driving right past the Express Lanes and past the Northern Virginian Community College Campus. Of course, the Turnpike will turn into Main Street, which you will continue on until you get to Chain Bridge Road. Take a left on Chain Bridge. As soon as you pass the Fairfax County Courthouse, be on the lookout for Judicial Drive. Take the right onto Judicial, and you will see our offices on the left.
Since 1980 the AV-rated law firm of Hale Ball has served the legal needs of individuals and businesses. Our team of attorneys include lawyers named to Super Lawyer and Rising Star lists, as well as attorneys with advanced legal degrees, specialty certifications and lawyers who teach their areas of practice to other lawyers.
Use the contact form on this page to schedule a consultation, or call 703-591-4900.
The transmission and receipt of information contained on this website, in whole or in part, or communication with the Hale Ball via the Internet or e-mail through this website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between this firm and any recipient.
10511 Judicial Dr
Fairfax, VA 22030