Yes, You Can and Should Use Social Media To Investigate Applicants
The use of social media in regards to employee candidates and company use is debated amongst experts. One debate is advocating for social media being used as a screening for employees while another explains that social media is a great marketing and branding tool. Specifically, the argument for social media as a screen for employee hiring has its pros and cons. TalentWise, a service that offers the U.S. and Canada background checks, onboarding, testing and other hiring solutions encourage the use of social media for employment purposes. Social media is a cheap and effect way to gather raw information about a potential employee, explains TalentWise. However, there are certain precautions that have to be taken if an employer chooses this approach, warns an employment attorney. These precautions are broken down into Five steps:
- First, the candidates must be notified that their social media profiles will be checked;
- Second, be wary of violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act by using information found on a social profile against the candidate without any disclosure of your search or results;
- Third, avoid being charged with discrimination by a candidate who felt they were not selected based on race, gender or another image disclosed online;
- Fourth, be extremely specific on candidates not chosen when using social media as a method of research;
- Fifth, keep in mind that social media profiles are not always accurate and can be hacked, thus make sure the research is extensive and is not conclusive from one social media profile.
With millions of people using social media, social media can be a great method for research on candidates or for marketing purposes provided you do so with care.
Since 1980 the AV-rated law firm of HALE BALL MURPHY, PLC has served the legal needs of individuals and businesses. Our team of attorneys include lawyers named to Super Lawyer and Rising Star lists, as well as attorneys with advanced legal degrees, specialty certifications and lawyers who teach their areas of practice to other lawyers.
Use the contact form on this page to schedule a consultation, or call 703-591-4900.
The transmission and receipt of information contained on this website, in whole or in part, or communication with the HALE BALL MURPHY, PLC via the Internet or e-mail through this website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between this firm and any recipient.
10511 Judicial Dr
Fairfax, VA 22030
Let us fight for you
Schedule a Consultation
We will use the information you provide on this form to connect and schedule a consultation with you to go over your legal needs. The transmission and receipt of information contained on this website, in whole or in part, or communication with the HALE BALL MURPHY, PLC via the Internet or e-mail through this website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between this firm and any recipient.