Startups & Emerging Businesses
Like others who have started a new business, you probably began with an idea about providing a better way of doing something or providing products or services that fill specific needs. Perhaps you are a software developer or a scientist who wants to take your idea to the next level and profit by it. Maybe you are a doctor or service provider with a better way to serve your patients or clients. Or you have discovered a franchise opportunity and want to move on it quickly. You’ve thought a great deal about your idea and have possibly even created a business strategy. How do you proceed now?
- At Hale Ball: Business Law Division in northern Virginia, we work with new and emerging businesses, helping to ensure that they build a strong foundation by establishing lawful business practices. To discover how our firm can help guide you through the legal issues associated with starting a business, contact us today.
Choosing and forming the right entity for your new business startup is an important decision. We ensure that you not only make the right decision but also implement it correctly. Together we will look at the legal, financial and business ramifications of each option. We are happy to discuss with you the differences between forming a corporation, making a sub-chapter S tax election (S-Corp) and establishing an LLC (limited liability company). Or perhaps a partnership or LLP (limited liability partnership) is best for you.
Some business startups are required by the state of Virginia to obtain licenses to operate legally. Professionals, doctors, lawyers, and architects, for example, are a few of the types of business owners who must obtain licenses to own and operate a business in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Contractors also must be licensed. Our firm is happy to help you determine whether or not you require a license and guide you through the process.
Other Important Considerations for New Businesses
Hale Ball: Business Law Division is also pleased to address other critical legal issues associated with your new business startup. Some of the issues we can address for your company include:
- Obtaining or acquiring Tax ID numbers (EIN Numbers)
- Sub-chapter S elections (form 2553)
- Registered agent services
- Trade-marking names and marks
- County business licenses and occupancy permits
- Employment issues
- General Corporate Legal Services
- Covenants not to compete (Non-compete agreements)
- Covenants not to solicit (Non-solicit or non-solicitation agreements)
- Insurance (including Business Liability, Worker’s Compensation, Employment, errors and omissions, malpractice)
- Operating Agreements
- Shareholder agreements
- Intellectual property (assignment of inventions, licensing, misappropriation)
- Confidentiality agreements
At Hale Ball: Business Law Division, your priorities really are our priorities. Contact us today at 1-703-591-4900 to speak with attorneys Robert Baumgartner or Scott Pohlman about your business startup. Don’t lose what you are trying to establish – get the legal help you need to grow your business in the right way. We take a comprehensive approach to help you get your new business operating and stable.
Schedule a Consultation with an Experienced Attorney
If you have a question about any type of business matter, we encourage you to schedule a confidential consultation with one of our Northern Virginia lawyers. To make an appointment call us at the above telephone number 1-703-591-4900 or use the contact form below.
Since 1980 the AV-rated law firm of Hale Ball has served the legal needs of individuals and businesses. Our team of attorneys include lawyers named to Super Lawyer and Rising Star lists, as well as attorneys with advanced legal degrees, specialty certifications and lawyers who teach their areas of practice to other lawyers.
Use the contact form on this page to schedule a consultation, or call 703-591-4900.
The transmission and receipt of information contained on this website, in whole or in part, or communication with the Hale Ball via the Internet or e-mail through this website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between this firm and any recipient.
10511 Judicial Dr
Fairfax, VA 22030